Thursday, March 3, 2011

Booking

I feel like something has happened.  Booking a show has never been easy by any means, but lately it's been all but impossible.

Thankfully, we have something on the horizon.  I booked a show at the Soda Bar in December and I have to say Peter is one of the most friendly people I've worked with around town.  We're going back there this month to play a show on the 27th, and I hope I can keep the relationship going.

Everywhere else I've turned, though, has been a dead end which is surprising to me.  I don't think I've changed anything I do to try and get a show.  We have the same amount of average plays on Myspace and the same amount fans as my last band did.  Really, no one has a lot of plays on Myspace anymore and I don't think most promoters even looked at that.  Something is off, though.

Is it hard to book a two piece?  This band doesn't have 4 people to help increase the draw, but we still do pretty well, relatively.  I feel like we brought out more people out to the past couple shows than the other four or five piece bands did, but I suppose a promoter wouldn't know that.

Most venues in San Diego have live music 6 or 7 nights a week.  That's a lot of talent a promoter needs to book, so it's hard to think that they could have any sort of discrimination.  It most be something else.  Something, something, something...

Let's think.  I'm leaning towards the fact we're a two piece, but isn't that in now?  Aren't two pieces the hip new thing?  Maybe it's the way I word my emails, but I really haven't changed that in years.  I try and be friendly and cordial, and I can't believe friendly is bad.  Maybe it is. 

Am I worried?  Not yet -- not really.  I have a show booked and promoting for that usually takes up most of my effort and worry.  But, I would really like to have something set up for the end of April, at least.  Can I ask Soda Bar to set up a show before we even play the one we have scheduled?  Mmmm, I don't think that would be a good idea.

So what should a guy do?  The scientist in me says figure out what the issue is and fix it, and the right brain side of me says, SEND MORE EMAILS.  TALK TO PEOPLE!  That last one interests me the most and the least at the same time.  I need to go to the Ruby Room soon and see what I can find out.  Or maybe the 710 club.  Or the Ken Club.  Or Winstons.  I've never been one to like striking up conversations with strangers, but since I do like playing live, I suppose that's what I need to do. 

At least all of these places serve alcohol.

No comments:

Post a Comment